Hot Artichoke Spinach Dip
2 TBS real butter
2 TBS olive oil
6 ~ 12 cloves garlic, crushed
2 TBS chopped onion
1/4 cup flour
1 pint heavy cream
1/2 ts ground pepper
1/8 tsp seasoning salt or paprika
1/8 tsp. Italian Seasoning herbs
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper or crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
2 tsp lemon juice
2/3 cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese plus extra to top the dip with
1/3 cup peccorino romano cheese
1/3 cup sour cream
2/3 cup shredded white sharp cheddar or Mozzarella cheese, divided
2 pounds fresh spinach, washed dried and chopped (or frozen chopped drained well)
1 14 oz. jar artichoke hearts ~ drained and cut in 1" pieces
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Sautee the onion and garlic in hot olive oil and butter for 5 minutes or until translucent.
3. Add the flour and stir over low heat one minute
4. Slowly add heavy cream, stirring with a whisk to prevent lumping. Mixture will thicken at the boiling point.
5. When it thickens, add the spices, lemon juice, parmesan and romano cheese. Add a bit of salt if it needs it, but it shouldn't.
6. Stir in sour cream. Fold in dry spinach, artichoke hearts, and half of white cheddar cheese.
7. Top with remaining white cheddar and a bit of parmesan and bake in an oven proof dish for 20 minutes covered, then 10 minutes uncovered.
8. Serve hot and bubbly with pasta chips, white corn tortilla chips, or a crusty fresh bread.
~*~ From Suzy ~*~