8 dried shiitake mushrooms
1 Tbsp. Hoisin sauce
2 Tbsp. soy sauce, divided
4 Tbsp. dry sherry, divided
2 Tbsp. oyster sauce
2 Tbsp. water
1 tsp. sesame oil
1 tsp. sugar
2 tsp. cornstarch, divided
2 tsp. water
ground pepper ~ to taste
1 pound boned and skinned chicken breast or thighs, chopped fine
1/3 cup vegetable oil - divided
1 Tbsp. fresh minced ginger
4 cloves garlic - crushed
2 green onions - minced
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
8 oz. can bamboo shoots - drained, minced
8 oz. can water chestnuts - drained, minced
1 head iceberg OR Bibb lettuce - separated into leaves
plum sauce (store bought or make this separately)
1. Cover mushrooms with boiling water and let stand for 30 minutes; drain.
2. Trim off and discard woody stems of mushrooms, then mince mushroom. Set aside.
3. Combine Hoisin sauce, soy sauce, half of dry sherry, oyster sauce, water, sesame oil, sugar, and 1 tsp. cornstarch set aside.
4. In medium bowl, combine 1 tsp. cornstarch, sherry, water, 1 tsp soy sauce, and pepper. Lay chicken into mixture and spoon over to coat. Stir in 1 tsp. vegetable oil and let sit 15 minutes to marinate.
5. Heat wok or large skillet over medium-high heat. Stir-fry chicken in 3 Tbls. vegetable oil for 3-4 minutes. Remove from wok/pan; set aside.
6. Heat 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil in wok/pan. Add ginger, garlic, onion, and chilies; stir-fry for 1 minute.
7. Add mushrooms, bamboo shoots, and water chestnuts; stir-fry 2 minutes.
8. Return chicken to pan. Pour in reserved mixture. Simmer until thickened and heated through.
9. Spoon mixture into lettuce leaf and roll. Serve with a plum sauce
~*~ From a website, tweaked by Suzy ~*~