1000 Vegetable Spring Rolls
2 Tbsp. Hoisin sauce
2 Tbsp. soy sauce,
4 Tbsp. dry sherry,(optional)
2 Tbsp. oyster sauce,
2 Tbsp. water
1 tsp. sesame oil
2 tsp. sugar
2 tsp. cornstarch,
2 tsp. water
ground pepper ~ to taste
1 pound ground pork (I use Hot Jimmy Dean sausage)
2-4 Tbsp. fresh minced ginger
4 - 6 cloves garlic - crushed
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes or chili oil (optional)
1 cup celery, sliced thin
3 green onions, sliced thin
1 cup bean sprouts
1 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
10 leaves Napa cabbage, sliced thin
3 carrots, cut into thirds then sliced into thin sticks 1 1/2 inches long
8 oz. can water chestnuts - drained, minced (optional)
approx. 3 cups vegetable oil
20 egg roll wrappers
2 tablespoons water plus 2 teaspoons cornstarch
Sun Luck Sweet and Sour Sauce
Chinese Mustard Powder
1. Crush garlic and grate ginger.
2. In a small bowl, combine Hoisin sauce, Oyster sauce, soy sauce, dry sherry, water, sesame oil, sugar, 1 TBS ginger, chile pepper or oil, and cornstarch; set aside.
3. Sautee pork in 1 TBS sesame oil with 2 TBS ginger and the crushed garlic. When cooked and crumbled, add 1/2 the sauce in the small bowl to the pork and stir until sauce thickens and incorporates, about 5 minutes.
4. Remove pork from pan, leaving drippings in skillet. Keep the pan hot. Add all veggies to the pan except cabbage and stir-fry 1 minute. Add cabbage and water chestnuts and stir-fry 2 minutes. Add pork and the rest of the sauce in the bowl; heat until warm. Remove from pan. Cool. Drain over a bowl so that you can retain the excess liquid (add a bit of this to the sweet sour sauce and also add some to dry mustard for 2 great dipping sauces).
5. Take out the egg roll wrappers but be sure to cover them with a damp cloth as you work to prevent them from drying out. To fill each roll, mound about 2 heaping tablespoons of filling just below the center of the spring roll. Fold bottom corner up over filling to cover, then fold in the two outside corners. Roll closed, sealing shut with a bit of cornstarch in water.
6. Pour vegetable oil (I use canola) in a large pan to a depth of about 2 inches - deep enough to cover the egg rolls. Over medium-high heat, heat the oil until it is very hot (this way the spring rolls won't absorb as much oil). Carefully add the spring rolls, one at a time. Deep fry about 2 minutes on each side, until golden brown on both sides, turning once. Serve hot with 2 kinds of dipping sauces if you wish, the sweet sour and the hot mustard mixed with the drippings.
~*~ From Suzy ~*~