Chocolate Quake Cookies
3 TBS unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 TBS unsweetened cocoa, Dutch-process preferably
1/2 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
1/4 cup pecans, toasted for 8-10 minutes in oven then finely ground
1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1. In a medium bowl using an electric mixer, beat the melted butter, white sugar, egg, and vanilla on low speed until pale in color and thickened, about 1 minute.
2. Sift the cocoa, flour, baking powder and salt into the bowl and mix on low speed until incorporated.
3. Fold in the nuts and chocolate chips. Chill until the mixture in firm enough to handle, about 1 hour.
4. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil.
5. Place 3/4 cup powdered sugar in a small bowl (you won't use it all).
6. Form the chilled dough into 1 inch balls and roll each in the powdered sugar to coat completely.
7. Place cookies on the prepared baking sheet 1 1/2 inches apart and bake for 12 minutes, or until the cookies are puffed and the powdered sugar has cracked apart. They will appear underdone in the center. Let sit for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool.
~*~ From the Got Milk? Cookie Book ~*~