Chocolate Raspberry Shortcakes
2 cups flour
2/3 cup plus 2 TBS sugar
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup cold butter
2 large egg yolks
3/4 cup buttermilk
4 cups fresh raspberries
Vanilla creme fraiche:
8 oz creme fraiche (or whipping cream if unavailable)
1 TBS vanilla
2 TBS sugar
1/4 cup whipping cream
1. In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, 2/3 cups sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
2. Cut butter into 1/2 inch chunks and add to flour mixture. Whirl in food processor or rub with fingers until mixture forms fine crumbs. Pour back into bowl if using processor.
3. In a small bowl, whisk egg yolks with buttermilk just to blend; add to flour mix and stir just until evenly moistened.
4. Turn dough onto a floured board, and knead with floured hands until it comes together. Pat out to 1 1/4 inches thick. Witth a 3 inch round cutter or glass, cut out shortcakes. Gather dough scraps and pat out again to make 6 cakes. Set 2 inches apart on a 14x17 baking sheet.
5. Bake at 375 degrees until tops look dry and feel firm when pressed, about 25 minutes. Cool on a rack.
6. Make the Vanilla Creme Fraiche: combine one cup creme fraiche, 1/4 cup whipping cream, 2 TBS sugar and 1 TB vanilla. Use a mixer to beat until soft peaks form.
7. Rinse raspberries. Whirl half the berries in a blender or processor with 2 TBS sugar until smooth, and press through a fine strainer. Discard seedy residue.
8. Slice shortcakes in half horizontally; set bottoms on plates. Spoon vanilla creme fraiche or whip cream over bottoms, top with remaining raspberries, and drizzle with raspberry sauce . Place shortcake tops over berries and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
~*~ From Sunset Magazine ~*~