Chewy Oatmeal Cookies
1 1/4 cups (2-1/2 sticks) butter, softened
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons vanilla
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3 cups Quaker Oats (old fashioned uncooked)
OPTIONAL: 1 cup total of dried cranberries and/or chocolate chips and/or coursely chopped nuts and/or 1 cup raisins or 2 cups total green apples that have been chopped and dried in a low heat oven (200 degrees)
1. Pre-heat oven to 375°F
2. Beat butter and sugars with a mixer until creamy yet fluffy.
3. Add egg and vanilla; beat well.
4. Add combined flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg; mix well.
5. Stir in oats; mix well. Add optional ingredients if desired.
6. Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet (I use parchment paper on top).
7. Bake 8 to 9 minutes for a chewy cookie, or 9 to 10 minutes for a crisp cookie. Cool 1 minute on cookie sheet; remove to wire rack. Cool completely. Store tightly covered
~*~ A modified Quaker Oats recipe ~*~