Grandma Edgar's Pineapple Squares
1 cup shortening ( I use 1/2 cup butter and 1/2 cup shortening instead)
2 cups brown sugar
1 TBS vanilla
sift together dry ingredients:
3 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cream of tartar
1 can crushed pineapple (I use 21 ounces total)
1 cup sugar
3 TBS flour
2 TBS lemon juice
1 cup chopped nuts (mom used macadamia; grandma calls for walnuts)
1. Cream together the shortening, sugar, and vanilla in a large bowl.
2. Beat an egg; add to the shortening mixture and blend.
3. Sift together the dry ingredients and add slowly to the shortening mixture.
4. Shape the cookie dough into 2 rolls; wrap in wax paper and refrigerate 2 hours.
5. Put filling ingredients in a pan on medium heat and cook until thick. Set aside to cool.
6. Roll out one of the rolls until its 1/4 inch thick.
7. Press the roll into a buttered cookie sheet with high sides ( I roll it on parchment paper then fit it in and bake it on the parchment).
8. Spread filling on the the dough on the cookie sheet.
9. Roll out the second half of the dough 1/4 inch thick and spread on top of filling and seal the sides (pinch with fingers).
10. Bake in a pre-heated 350 degree oven for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
Cool and cut into squares.
~*~ From Grandma Edgar ~*~