Nan-e Berenji (Rice Flour Cookies)
2 cups unsweetened butter
3/4 cup confectioners sugar
2 eggs, separated
4 cups very fine rice flour
2 TBS rosewater
several tablespoons poppy seeds
1. Beat the butter well, then gradually add the confectioners sugar, beating well.
2. Add the egg yolks one at a time, beating continuously.
3. Stir in the flour until well blended
4. Add the rosewater.
5. Beat the egg whites until stiff, and fold them into the dough.
6. Cover and refrigerate dough for 24 hours.
7. Roll the dough out between waxed paper to a thickness of 1/4 inch. Use a round cookie cutter to cut the cookies. Score the tops with tines of a fork, or imprint a pattern. Spinkle with poppy seeds.
8. Bake in a 325 degree oven on a greased cookie sheet for 15-20 minutes. Carefully remove from sheet to serving plate. They crumble very easily, and will melt in your mouth.
~*~ From Persian Cooking Cookbook ~*~