Dad's Eggplant Delight
Dad's Saffron Tomato Sauce
1 -2 good size eggplant (Japanese will do too)
˝ cup Virgin olive oil (or corn oil)
A big bowl of cold water
fresh Parmesan cheese
1. Leaving the skins on, slice the eggplants cross way, 1/3 inch thick.
2. Sprinkle salt on both sides generously
3. Add the slices to the bowl of cold water, add some more salt to the water. Let stand for 3 hours
4. Rinse the eggplants with tap water, then dry them.
5. Sauté the eggplants on low-med heat until they are dark gold in color and are tender, add more oil if needed.
6. Let the slices cool on paper and to drain excess oil.
7. Cook the sliced eggplants with the sauce for about two minutes, top with Parmesan, and serve with pasta or French bread.
Variations: Use with cheese to make a layered "lasagne" with eggplant instead of pasta noodles, or just add mozzarella, and parmesan cheese and leave in oven to melt, then serve.
~*~ From Dad ~*~