Sweet and Sour Meatballs
soft breadcrumbs (2 slices) or 1/2 cup crushed crackers
1/4 cup milk or half and half
1 lb lean ground beef or turkey
1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
1 small onion, chopped fine
6 cloves garlic, crushed
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1 egg, beaten until frothy
1 tbsp Soy Sauce (add to beaten egg)
1 cup water
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup white distilled vinegar
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 large carrots, sliced
1 medium white onion, cut into chunks
1 green pepper, cut into chunks (optional)
1/2 cup pineapple, cut into chunks (optional)
1. Mix all ingredients for the sauce together in a bowl and set aside.
2. Put breadcrumbs or crackers in a large bowl. Add the milk or cream and let stand for 5 minutes.
3. In a small bowl, beat the egg and add the soy sauce.
4. Add the rest of the meatball ingredients together and mix by hand.
5. Form the meat mixture into 1 or 2 inch balls (depending on your size preference) and brown in a frying pan.
6. When meatballs are browned, pour the sauce over them. Bring to a boil, then cover the pan and reduce heat
7. Simmer until the sauce thickens and becomes a glaze (approximately 30-40 minutes).
8. Serve over rice or wide egg noodles.
~*~ From Allan's Mom, tweaked by me~*~