3 cups Basmati Rice
16 oz plain whole yogurt
1 tsp or more Saffron
Salt/pepper to taste
Butter (or vegetable oil)
Fresh boneless skinless chicken thighs
1 large onion, chopped
In a large skillet, sauté chopped onion. Add chicken and season with salt or Bullion and pepper. Saute the chicken only until ¾ cooked – DO NOT OVERCOOK because it will continue to cook in the oven. Reserve juices/onion bits and set aside.
Prepare the Rice:
1. Bring water to boil, add 2 TBS salt, then add rice and boil for 6 minutes until almost tender. Drain & rinse with cold water.
2. In a separate bowl combine:
· 3 beaten eggs
· chicken juices and onion
· 16 oz plain whole yogurt (Bulgar style is best do NOT use fat free. You want the yogurt as thick as possible. Optional - put yogurt in cheese cloth over bowl to drain off liquid.
· 1 tsp or more Saffron (to taste – I like lots): Grind with pestle & mortar until powdered, then add a tablespoon or so of boiling water to enhance color
flavor if you place the saffron & water over heat a minute or so · Salt & Pepper to taste
3) Put 1/2 of mixture into a pyrex baking dish, then layer chicken, then top with remaining mixture. Cover with foil until last half hour. Bake in 350 degree oven 90 minutes or until tahdig (browned crust of rice) forms on bottom and top.
~*~ From Mom ~*~