Tofu Stir Fry
3 cups of veggies: any combination of the following:
white and green onion, bok choy, shitake mushrooms, sprouts, carrot, spinach (add that veggie last 30 seconds) broccoli, asparagus, red or green peppers
1 package of extra -firm tofu or 1 pound any type of meat
1 TBS peanut or canola oil
1 TBS sesame oil
1/3 cup fresh lime juice (optional)
2-4 tablespoons hoisin or oyster sauce
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tsp sugar or honey
1 1/2 TB white vinegar
2 tablespoons fresh grated ginger
6 cloves garlic, crushed
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/4 cup minced cilantro (optional)
1 tsp cornstarch dissolved in 1/4 cup chicken broth or warm water
1. Cut veggies into bite size pieces. I like to add the whole green onion (light and dark part) and cut it into one inch pieces. Even if you dont eat it, it flavors the stir fry very nicely.
2. Drain tofu and pat it dry (or rinse meat), then cut into cubes that are bite size.
3. Pour oils into a skillet over med-hi heat. After oil is hot, add ginger, garlic, and the harder veggies and stir until its tender-crisp, about 3 minutes. Remove from pan and place it in a bowl.
4. Add tofu or meat to pan, and fry it up until its golden (add more oil if you need to). Stir gently and dont let it stick.
5. After tofu is browned, add 1/4 cup broth or water with the cornstarch to pan and stir. Remove the tofu from the pan and add it to the veggies. Leave the juicy stuff in the pan.
6. To the pan add the lime juice, sugar, vinegar, hoisin or oyster sauce, soy sauce, and red pepper flakes. Cook it over a high temp til the liquid is reduced (5 or 6 minutes). Add tofu and veggies to the pan and stir it for like 30 seconds until its all hot. 7. Serve with noodles or rice
~*~ From Suzy ~*~