Grandpa Edgar's Turkey
1 defrosted Turkey
1/2 cup butter (1 cup if your bird is more than 20 pounds)
1 cup chicken broth (2 cups if your bird is more than 20 pounds)
Lawry's / Hy's seasoning salt
chopped fresh herbs like sage, thyme etc (optional)
The night BEFORE cooking:
1. Bring butter to room temperature. Add seasonings and spices to the butter and mix.
2. Using the handle end of a knife, separate the turkey skin from the breast (this feels gross but the results are worth it).
3. Rub butter mixture all over the breast meat (under the skin). Be generous.
4. Season the breast meat under the skin with the butter mixture as well.
5. Hold the legs up on the turkey, then pour the broth into the breasts under the skin, so that it forms "pockets" of broth. The turkey will look like Dolly Parton but don't worry, it will return to normal.
6. Return bird to normal position and put more butter and seasonings on top of bird. Cover with foil and let it marinate in the fridge overnight.
The day of cooking:
1. Preheat oven to 325.
2. Put bird in oven and cook until done (approximately 30-35 minutes per pound check butterball.com). Cover with foil when the bird is browned, and baste every 20 minutes.
~*~ By Grandpa Edgar ~*~