Udon Noodles with Thai Peanut Sauce
1 pound chicken or steak, broiled and sliced into thin strips (optional)
1 red pepper, seeded and sliced into strips
1/4 pound snow peas, sliced in half
1/3 pound baby carrots, sliced into strips
1/3 cup chopped cilantro
1/3 cup green onions sliced thin, both white and dark parts
1 cucumber, sliced into thin strips
6 oz dried udon or spaghetti noodles
1 small onion, minced fine (reserve 1 TBS for the sauce)
4-6 garlic cloves, crushed
2 TBS ginger, finely minced
4 TBS sesame oil
5 TBS peanut butter (crunchy or creamy)
4 TBS soy sauce
1/4 cup chicken broth
1 TBS rice vinegar
3 TBS lime juice
2 TBS brown sugar
red pepper flakes to taste
chopped peanuts and cilantro to garnish (optional)
1. Boil noodles as directed. Drain. OPTIONAL: Rinse in cold water if you want a cold dish.
2. Toss noodles, hot or cold, in 2 TBS sesame oil.
3. Make sauce: In a glass bowl mix together 1 TBS sesame oil, soy sauce, sugar or honey, lime, vinegar, broth, green onions, cilantro, 1 TBS minced white onion, and red pepper flakes. Seat aside.
4. Heat 1 TBS sesame oil in frying pan or wok, add meat and brown it.
5. Add onion, ginger and garlic to pan. Sautee a few more minutes.
6. Toss together the noodles, sauce, chopped vegetables, meats, and cucumber. Chill if serving cold. Serve topped with cilantro and a few chopped peanuts if desired. Serve
~*~ From Suzy ~*~