Baked Ziti Pasta
12 ounces ziti pasta
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 large onion - minced
6 cloves garlic - crushed
1 zucchini, grated
10 ounces extra lean ground beef or turkey
1/2 cup red wine
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 cup milk
24 ounces tomato sauce
3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon cayenne or crushed red pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
8 ounces mozzarella cheese shredded
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese - grated
1. Heat a large pot of water to boiling, and cook the ziti until just tender. Drain well. Transfer to a large bowl.
2. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic. Cook, stirring frequently until the onion is soft (7 minutes).
3. Add the zucchini/other veggies and cook until they have softened (5 more minutes).
4. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a shallow 3 quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
5. Stir the beef into the vegetable mixture, and cook, stirring frequently, until no longer pink (4 minutes). Add the wine and cook until the liquid has almost evaporated (5 more minutes). Stir in the flour until well combined. Gradually stir in the milk and cook until the mixture is slightly thickened (4 minutes). Stir in the tomato sauce, oregano, rosemary, salt, and pepper. Cook until the flavors have blended (4 minutes more).
6. Add the meat mixture to the ziti and toss well to combine. Spoon the ziti mixture into the prepared baking dish and bake for 10 minutes. Sprinkle the mozzarella and Parmesan on top and bake 5 minutes more, or until the cheese has melted and the pasta is piping hot.
~*~ From a website ~*~