1 large white onion, chopped
6 to 12 garlic cloves, crushed (the more the better)
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil (you can use less, but still use a lot as it really makes a difference)
3 (28-ounce) cans plum tomatoes, crushed by hand or get the diced in its own juices kind (or fresh plum tomatoes)
1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped (you can use 1/2 Tsp dried but again it makes a big difference)
salt to taste, or 1 TBS Better Than Bullion Beef
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
crushed red or cayenne pepper to taste (optional)
1 teaspoon dried oregano or Italian seasoning
2 bay leaves
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley, chopped
1 small can tomato paste
1/2 cup red wine
squirt of lemon juice
dash of sugar
OPTIONAL MEAT SAUCE: add a 1/2 pound of Italian sausage and a 1/2 pound of ground beef to the sauteed onions.
OPTIONAL PRIMAVERA SAUCE: add 2 cups sliced mushroons, 2 shredded zucchinis, 1 shredded carrot, 2 cups finely chopped spinach.
1. Saute onions and garlic with olive oil in a 4-quart saucepan (also add the optional additions now if desired).
2. When onions and garlic are golden color, add tomatoes, basil, parsley, salt, pepper, oregano, and tomato paste.
3. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for 2-3 hours, stirring constantly. Add the lemon and sugar and wine an hour later.
4. Add some more of the fresh basil just before serving.
5. Serve over pasta and top with fresh parmesan. Mmmmm
~*~ From Suzy ~*~