3 quarts canned low sodium beef broth or homemade beef stock
1 TBS Better Than Bullion Beef Flavor if broth is weak or using canned broth or adding water to make broth 3 quarts (optional)
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, minced (plus a bit to top soup with)
1 large can (28 oz.) crushed tomatoes
1 TBS tomato paste
1 large can (7 oz.) diced green chilies
1 large onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 1/2 ts dried basil leaves, crumbled
1 1/2 ts dried oregano leaves, crumbled
1/2 To 1 tsp. Tabasco sauce
salt (if needed) and pepper to taste
shredded cheddar/Jack cheese to top soup with
tortilla chip strips to top soup with (optional)
1 pound lean ground beef
1/3 pound spicy sausage such as Jimmy Deans
1/2 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup milk
1 large egg
1 medium onion, finely minced
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 teaspoon dried basil leaves, crumbled salt and pepper to taste
1. In a 6 to 8 quart pot, combine broth, tomatoes and their liquid, tomato paste, chilies, onion, garlic, chili powder, basil, oregano, and Tabasco sauce to taste. Bring to a boil over high heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, prepare meatballs: In a large bowl, mix meatball ingredients together until well blended. Shape the mixture into about 3/4-inch balls. If making ahead, return the meatballs to bowl, cover, and chill up to 4 hours.
3. Add meatballs to soup. Cover and simmer until meatballs are not pink in the center (cut to test), 10 to 15 minutes longer.
4. Stir in the minced cilantro.
5. Ladle into bowls and garnish with shredded cheese, tortilla chips (optional) and cilantro sprigs.
~*~ From Suzy ~*~