Suzy's Pasta e Fagioli Soup
1 pound spicy Jimmy Dean Sausage, or any spicy Italian sausage
1/4 cup olive oil (this flavors the soup but add less if you wish)
1 TBS Better than Bullion Beef flavor (or 2 beef Bullion cubes)
1 medium onion, diced
8-12 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
3/4 teaspoon Italian Seasoning Herbs (tyme, oregano, marjoram mix)
dash of Tabasco or crushed red pepper flakes to taste
1 can Campbell's Tomato Soup ( regular, NOT low sodium or Healthy Recipe)
5 fresh plum tomatoes, diced
1 14.5-ounce cans diced plum tomatoes in juice
1 TBS tomato paste
1 15-ounce can great northern beans (drain liquid and rinse well)
1 ~ 3 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 cup red wine
1 cup fresh basil, sliced into strips
1 cup spinach, sliced into strips
4-6 oz. ditali pasta or elbow macaroni
freshly grated parmesan cheese to top bowls of soup with and fresh crusty Italian peasant loaf bread to dip
1. Brown the sausage in a large pot over medium heat. Add olive oil, the bullion, spices, pepper, onion and garlic and sautee for 10-15 minutes.
2. Add the Campbell's Tomato soup and sautee for 5 minutes.
3. Add the fresh tomatoes and sautee for 5 minutes.
4. Add remaining ingredients except for the spinach, basil and pasta, cover with 2 cups water (you can add more if the flavor is too intense), bring to a boil, then put heat on low and simmer for 1 hour. This soup *must* be tasted. Add more lemon juice if you wish, I like a lot. Add more red pepper to make it spicier if you like.
5. Add the pasta, spinach and basil to the large pot of soup. Simmer for 5-10 minutes and serve topped with fresh shredded Parmesan cheese. The soup should be thick. Fresh crusty Italian peasant loaf bread to dip with is a must.
~*~ From Suzy ~*~