Latkes (Potato Pancakes)
1 lg Onion -- grated or processed fine
4 lg Idaho Potatoes -- peeled & grated
1/4 cup Flour
1 ts Baking powder
4 Eggs, beaten in a blender or bowl
1-2 ts Salt
3/4 ts Black pepper
1/4 ts Cayenne (optional)
1/2 ts Seasoning Salt
1/2 ts Paprika
1 pt Sour cream
1/2 pt Cream
1. Peel and grate the potatoes with a cheese shredder. Put them straight into cold water, then drain and squeeze them as dry as you can by pressing them with your hands in a colander or between paper towels. This is to remove much of the liquid, which could make them soggy. Put shredded potatoes in a large bowl.
2. Beat the eggs lightly with salt and pepper (I do this in a blender), add to the potatoes, and stir well. Combine and sift the flour and salt and add to the potato mixture along with the grated onion. Heat 1/4-1/2 cup oil in a skillet. You want the oil very hot so that the latkes don't absorb the oil and become too greasy.
3. Using a 1/4 cup measure or a long-handled serving spoon, start spooning the potato batter into the skillet. Flatten each with a metal spatula to a diameter of 4 to 5 inches. Cook about five minutes until golden brown and turn to brown on the second side. When done remove, drain on paper towel, and place in a warm oven.
4. Mix the sour cream & cream together.
5. Serve hot with a large dollop of the the cream mixture, or applesauce. They do not keep well so eat them right away.
~*~ From Suzy ~*~