2 cans refried beans (I like Rosarita Refried Beans with Chili and Lime)
1 4 oz. can of diced green chilis
1 medium onion, minced fine
3 cloves garlic, crushed
2 TBS olive oil or Crisco shortening (this will give the lard taste without the ah lard, ick)
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/8 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp white vinegar
1/2 cup Enchilada sauce
1 cup cheddar and monterey jack cheese, shredded
1. Saute the onion and garlic in the olive oil or shortening in a pan on the stovetop.
2. When onion is translucent, add the can of chili, vinegar, and spices. Cook on medium heat for 5 minutes.
3. Add the cans of beans and enchilada sauce. Simmer on the stove for 15 minutes.
4. Transfer to a Pyrex baking dish and top with shredded cheese. Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
5. Wonderful as a dip with tortilla chips, in flour tortillas, or as a side dish for enchiladas.
~*~ From Suzy ~*~